Nutrition GuidanceNutrition Guidance Provided By HRS
Healthy eating is challenge for many older adults, but is a critical key to wellness. Research shows that good nutrition can prevent or delay the onset of many chronic illnesses. In an aging body, inadequate intake of calories and nutrients will limit function and impair longevity and quality of life. Our professionals are uniquely qualified to help older adults access and improve their food intake.
Health Resource Solutions provides the support and assistance to ensure a healthy and balanced diet. Our specialists will:
- Encourage our older adult client to eat more fruits and vegetables that provide vitamins, minerals, fiber, and many chemicals that help fight disease. In addition, these foods are naturally low in fat and calories.
- Provide meals that are higher in fiber. (We’ve heard it before and will hear it again…) Bran flakes and other hot and cold whole-grain cereal help older adults stay “regular.” Research has shown that they also contribute to prevention of cardiovascular and gastrointestinal problems as well as some forms of cancer.
- Support older adults in protein intake. Protein is an important building block for muscles, organs, and glands. Good sources of protein are low fat meats, poultry, fish, eggs, milk and milk products.
- Help aging seniors manage their weight. Being overweight increases their risk for heart disease, diabetes, and some types of cancer. Furthermore, holding adequate weight (not being underweight!) is also important to keep older adults active and energetic.
- Assist with maintenance of good nutrition. Our specialists teach our senior clients how to balance what they eat, and find meal combinations that can give them the most vitality and longevity!